09 May 2006

MUS 105

i've spent this entire semester complaining to my friends that i'm taking a class called "Intro to Ethnomusicology" but I don't even know what ethnomusicology means. i am constantly complaining to them that i don't know why i am taking this class, that it should NOT be a required course, it is a waste of my time, and i am fed up with it. so for this class, instead of a final exam, our professor has assigned us a final essay. and what is the question for the essay? well, there are two parts:

a. do you think ethnomusicology should be part of the music curriculum?
b. please include a brief definition of ethnomusicology in your answer

so what do i do? should i be honest? if i decide to be honest, i might get a very bad grade (and my prof doesn't like me very much as it is). if i try to bluff it, it won't help him become a better teacher in the future, plus it's just wrong. so here's what i did....i sugar-coated it. as it turns out, my skills of being able to write about absolute crap came in handy.

in summary, my answer explained that i spent most of the semester not understanding what ethnomusicology is, but it was at the end of april when we had a special guest speaker that it finally became clear. i said that in retrospect, everything was very important, but it was hard for me to see it at the time because i didn't really understand what ethnomusicology was.

.....yeah basically i wrote a bunch of bull. we'll see how this turns out.

1 comment:

Martin K said...

I honestly believe writing "bull", or as I like to refer to it "freestyling" (LOL), and getting away with it is an art in itself. It is going to be very useful for the rest of your life.

p.s. welcome to the blogging community