01 April 2007

thanks for keeping me informed, facebook

they have taken it to a new level.

a few months ago, the people at facebook decided to implement a new feature called "News Feed" in which you are informed of all your friends' actions. For example, if my friend 'Bobby' starts dating someone and decides to change his relationship status on facebook, i will have a note in my news feed that says, "Bobby is now listed as In a Relationship with Ashley." i also find out when friends add new photos, when they update their profiles and when they join or leave groups among other things. there was a big revolt against it. a lot of facebookers were angry because it made facebook-stalking a little bit too easy. millions of people signed online petitions, wrote articles and formed groups (on facebook, ironically) protesting it. it was the
biggest and most organized protest of this generation. am i proud of that? well, that's a rant for another post.

what's this new level? facebook has decided to inform me of MY OWN ACTIONS. ?!?!? tonight when i logged in I had a little note telling me that i was on facebook, reading my news feed. thanks, facebook....you're always looking out for me.

strangest part about it all? i was out at 11:19 pm, not on facebook.

No comments: