07 June 2006

hey, ukulele!

some of the kids i work with at the world bank children's center started calling me ukulele a few months ago. i'm not sure why, but they just started saying, "hey, ukulele!" ever since then, i've felt very close with the instrument. so the other day, i finally bought one.

...and i love it. i've been searching around the internet looking for all kinds of ukulele resources. i've found lots pages that have tabs and chords of popular songs, and i'm working hard now on learning to play "The Star Spangled Banner" (the national anthem of the USA). i think i'll audition in the fall to play it at one of our university basketball games. :)

one interesting thing i came across while i was doing my uke research is the ukulele orchestra of great britain. i didn't realize the ukulele was such a popular instrument. this ensemble has several different types of ukuleles played in it, and they play covers of all kinds of popular and classical songs. here is a video of them playing the nirvana song smells like teen spirit. and if that's not enough for you, listen to this cover of natural woman. wowie.

another thing i came across was a video of a girl known as the hoola hoop uker. no introduction necessary. i think the video speaks for itself.

i think the MOST impressive of all is jake shimabukuro,a professional uke player. below is a video of him at the strawberry fields memorial in central park, NY playing "While My Guitar Gently Weeps." i guess his version is more like "While My Ukulele Gently Weeps."






i think this may very well become a new obsession with me. when i bought the uke, i noticed that they had them in all kinds of colors: pink, red, green, etc. i just went with the standard wooden guitar color, but if i buy another one i think i'll go for the pink. actually, the guy who sold me the uke told me that the beatles were big ukulele fans. i've found other sites that attest to the fact that george harrison was a uke player. and this site has a very unique way of teaching beatles songs on the ukulele.

i have a feeling that this whole ukulele thing could get dangerous. just look what happened to cookie monster.

4 comments:

Solange said...

that's not cookie monster....

who knew there was so much about the ukulele, especially professional players.

elizabeth, you're not going to be a professional ukulele player, are you?

caz said...

I've also recently become obsessed with the ukulele. I LOVE it!!! How great is it?! We have 2, my bro's is purple and mine is red. They are so cute! I've never been able to play stringed instruments before coz I'm left handed, but I'm full pro on a uke! ok fine- i only know 4 chords... but THEY sound great! :P

Martin K said...

WOW .. this central park guy ... my God! he is amazing. He plays so fast!! Man, elizabeth I expect no less from you when we meet next.

Solange said...

i thought i would add to your ukulele collection:

complicated

raindrops